School Innovation & Improvement Plan
Outcome goals for this academic school year
Translate this page
Complete ESSER School Funding Plans
ESSER III/SIIP At-a-Glance 2021-2022
Waples Mill Elementary School, Region 1
Greg Brotemarkle, Principal
he Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) is a federal grant which requires that spending be used in specific areas. Part of the Fairfax County Public Schools spending plan identifies funding to be used for Unfinished Learning and Student Academic and Social, Emotional, Mental Health (Wellness) Needs. Schools have been given funding allocations to support the academic and wellness needs of students. Schools are required to create plans in English Language Arts, Mathematics, and Wellness highlighting the strategies they will use to support these areas using their ESSER III funding. These strategies are shown below.
ESSER III English Language Arts Strategies: Outcome #1
Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in English Language Arts.
- All teachers will use a reading/writing workshop model.
- K-2 teachers will implement systematic and strategic phonics instruction.
- Students will receive targeted intervention for tier 2 and 3.
ESSER III Mathematics Strategies: Outcome #2
Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in Mathematics.
- Leverage Tier I core reteaching resources and ST Math for small group instruction.
- Leverage Tier 2 resources to support learning challenges and challenges stemming from the pandemic and virtual learning.
- Leverage Tier 3 resources to support students with documented academic progress concerns in the area of mathematics.
- Students will receive targeted intervention (Tier 3 supports).
ESSER III Wellness Strategies: Outcome #3
Ensure students feel safe, included, and supported in the school environment.
- Create calm corners/stations in every classroom in every grade level.
- Provide parent workshops (virtual or in-person) on at-home strategies to support children with emotional regulation, oppositional behaviors, and coping strategies.
- Teacher Training Opportunities
Access & Opportunity Strategies: Outcome #4
Background: All Fairfax County schools are also required to complete an access and opportunity goal as part of their School Innovation and Improvement Plan (SIIP) and can also capture additional goals. These are shown below.
Goal: By the end of the 2021-2022 school year, 100% of students will show growth by increasing at least one level in two assigned Portrait of a Graduate attributes through self reflection.
- Staff training and professional development
- All students will demonstrate POG skills.