Science. Technology.Art. Music.Philanthropy
STAMP stands for Science, Technology, Art, Music, and Philanthropy. A committee was developed in 2007 by a passionate group of Waples Mill staff members who craved collaboration with each other and desired to inspire students to discover their own strengths, joys, and interests. This committee is extraordinary because it integrates the creative aspects of science, technology, art, music, and philanthropy, or social giving. As part of the STAMP of Excellence, WMES students have participated in numerous activities organized by the STAMP Committee, such as:
- Created self-portraits which are permanently installed at the Dulles International Airport
- ¨Participated in tree planting and developed schoolyard habitats with Fairfax ReLeaf and Fairfax County Parks Authority
- ¨ Packaged meals for the Stop Hunger Now program
- ¨ Participated in the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service with Volunteer Fairfax
- ¨ Laid wreaths at Arlington National Ceremony
- ¨ Participated in the CureSearch Walk for children’s cancer
- ¨ Labeled storm drains with Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District
- ¨ Raised oysters to protect and conserve the Chesapeake Bay with South River Federation
- ¨ Rode many miles in the Pedal It Out bike ride for melanoma research
- ¨ Played in the Dig Pink volleyball match to raise money for Side Out Foundation’s breast cancer research
STAMP is constantly searching for ways to lead philanthropic efforts.
A main event of STAMP is the annual Inspirational Museum. There you might see grade level special exhibits, student created movies and slide shows, or a “Living Wax Museum” where students portray important, well-known figures of history who “come to life” with the push of a button. Past museum highlights have included biography cubes, a collaborative seasonal quilt, musical offerings, robotics, astronomy, a rocket launch and moon base, and ‘tableau’ performance. Students are selected for the Alec Souders Student Philanthropy Award and the Carmen Boatwright-Bacon Fine Arts Award at the museum.
Thoughtful people, creative problem solvers, and active decision makers are being represented wherever you see the STAMP of Excellence.
STAMP Inspirational Museum - "Harnessing the Power Within"
Use your SMART phone, iPad, or other device with a QR code reader to watch the introductory slide show.
For more information about STAMP programs and services contact: Luann Hanley, Sean Duffy, STAMP Coordinators